Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Truly Blessed

Tuesday night Matt and I were sitting in the family room watching tv and a commercial for the 10 o'clock news came on. One of the stories they were previewing was about a fireman who was killed unexpectedly due to the storms from the night before. As it turns out, this man is the husband of someone that I went to high school with. They have 3 children together, all under the age of 5. While I did not know this person well, the story certainly shook me. What a tragedy! My heart broke for his wife and kids. I realize that there may not be a personal connection, but I couldn't help but feel completely devastated for this family. All week long I have been thinking about his wife and what she must be going through. I mean, how do you tell your kids that their daddy wont be here for Christmas or that they will not see him for the rest of their lives? I can't imagine having to live in a house with constant reminders of what once was there. It is so easy to take the little things in life for granted. I love my husband so much and I cannot imagine living without him. It makes me cry just thinking about it. Here they are, a young family, just getting started and it is taken from them in one night. All week long this has been on my mind. I feel awful that their loss serves as a reminder for all the good in my life. All I can say is this has been a real wake up call for me. My family means everything to me and to think that it can be taken away in an instant makes me want to worship each and every moment that I have with them. My prayers are with this family and I hope they can find the strength to make it through such a horrible loss.

1 comment:

The Holmes' said...

I couldn't agree more! We are truly blessed.