Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Home Sweet Home (Part 2)

I am sure there are easier ways, but it is easiest for me to break this post into 3 parts so the pictures wont continue to get all messed up...

Anyways. The next day (Monday) we set aside to go sightseeing in D.C. with Charlie and Fran. I had not gone and walked the city since 5th grade, Matt had only driven through it and Jay had never been so we figured it would be a good opportunity. We signed up for the Old Town Trolley because they gave you a narrated tour of the city, but you could also get off and go in the buildings. We were really lucky because it was such a beautiful day. I got a ton of pictures. Here are some of the highlights:

Here are some pictures from the Botanical Gardens. None of us had ever been to this display before. It was absolutely beautiful and FREE (well kind of. Our tax dollars pay for it)!


We also saw the Korean War Memorial for the first time. It was so surreal! In a bustling city, everything just seems to get quiet.















Just a short walk away was the WWII memorial which we had not seen either. This was really cool.
In the center of all of these memorials is the Washington Monument. I went to the top of the monument in 5th grade and loved it. I remembered hearing that people were not allowed to go up in it anymore, but I guess that isn't true (at least any more). We got tickets to ride the elevator to the top (again free!) and it was still as amazing as I had remembered. You could see for 20 miles. The other picture is of the Capital. We actually walked up to this one, but the picture from the monument was neater. My pictures were not as cool as Jay's but they will have to suffice.

After the monument we went to the White house. This picture is actually the back of it. The front had a big white tarp outside so spectators could not see people coming in and out. Since the whole bailout/economy fiasco I guess there has been a safety issue for government officials. The other picture is the doorbell? Just kidding, I went to push it to see what would happen, but then I got scared because there was a guy on the top of the house with a very large gun. I guess I didn't feel like getting shot...














Because of time we just drove by the Jefferson Memorial, but we made sure to walk up to the Lincoln Memorial. Matt has always wanted to see this in person. Pict
ures do not do it justice. The man in the picture with the white shirt with the orange fish on it is Charlie. This is my only picture of him:(















While we were waiting for the trolley we heard a whole bunch of sirens. It turns out it was the president and his motorcade. I didn't get a very good picture because they were driving so fast. This is just one of the cars. He had about 4 other cars/motorcycle police surrounding him too. My guess is that he was going to Camp David...

We spent the entire day with Charlie and Fran and didn't get one picture with them :( I guess we have to go back!! After wearing ourselves out from walking all day Matt and Jay decided that we needed some Jimmie Cone (trip #3).

No comments: