Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Some more Recipes

This thing has kind of turned into a little cook book. What can I say? Cooking is becoming a little bit of a hobby. I have some more recipes that I would like to add. One is a pretty healthy recipe and one is not at all. Let me start with the shredded chicken since it is in both recipes that I will be sharing with all my 1 reader :)

Shredded Chicken: I simply put chicken breasts in the crock pot, fill it about halfway up (the height of chicken, if that makes sense). Sprinkle cumin, salsa and chili peppers. Sometimes I will put in green chiles if I have them. This recipe is very flexible. Just put in whatever spices you like. Turn heat on high and let cook for about 5 hours. Shred with 2 forks.

Ok so I will start with the recipe I got from a friend at work. I made it for Meghan's shower and it was a hit! Unfortunately I do not have a picture, but I will add one when I make it next.

Pollo Con Queso

1 pound Velveta cheese
1 jar (medium) salsa-LaVictoria with cilantro (Sherry suggests anything without vinegar)
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream Of Mushroom Soup
1 can diced green chilies
1 can sliced olives (optional)
2 shredded chicken breasts (see above recipe)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in sauce pan or crock pot and heat and stir until cheese is melted and everything is combined. Serve with chips. Leave in the crock pot on warm setting to keep warm. Stir often to avoid the "Velveeta skin."


Chicken Chilaquiles: This one is from the Cooking Light magazine. I made it Sunday and it was really good. Even Matt liked it and he is generally not a fan of "light" food.


2 C Shredded chicken breast (see above recipe)
1/2 C chopped green onions
1/2 C pepper jack cheese
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 t chili powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
3/4 C 1% milk
1/4 C fresh cilantro
1 (11 oz ) can tomatillos, drained
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
12 (6 in) corn tortillas

Yield: it says 4 servings, but we got a little more
Preheat oven 375 degrees
Combine chicken, green onions, 1/4 C pepper jack and Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt and pepper. (You can add some chili peppers if you like it really spicy).
Mix milk and next three ingredients (through chiles) in a food processor or blender; process until smooth
Pour 1/3 C tomatillo mixture into bottom of 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange 4 tortillas in dish and top with chicken mixture. Repeat. Finish with a layer of tortillas on top.
Pour remaining tomatillo mixture over tortillas (I did not use it all); sprinkle with remaining 1/4 C pepper jack cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:
Calories: 347
Fat: 10.9g
Protein: 30.9g
Carb: 33.3g
Fiber: 5.9g
...not too bad for how good it tastes. The fat and carbs are a little high, but the calories are low and the protein is high which are the 2 main things I look for.

No comments: