Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 18, 2008

A "Special" Holiday Party

Every year the special ed department puts on a lavish holiday party. Festivities include the induction of the "newbies," a delicious meal, the reward ceremony for the decorated item for the year (this year it was snow people), the famous white elephant game, and Sherry's coveted sugar cookies. I truly believe I work in the best department at GHS. We just have such a fun time. For me personally, I look forward to this party every year because I just laugh the entire time (we have some people in our department who could probably be stand-up comedians). Some of the highlights this year included the 365 sex position book, a lava lamp, a Shrek Chia Pet head, and Torken (a project that a student made and a teacher brought as their "gift"). In past years, I was not aware of how unrestricted the gifts were allowed to be. We have had some classics, the Dr. Moix hand painted picture was fan favorite as were the body butters from last year (oddly enough those did not make a return appearance like the Dr. Moix picture...). After 2 years of bringing nice, unoffensive gifts I threw caution to the wind and brought an incredibly tacky gift this year...a faux fur coat and a picture of a No Child Left Behind Memorial from Washington D.C. (It's a teacher joke). Here is Todd in the jacket...cute huh (it's too bad the picture came out blurry)

I was absolutely shocked that this thing got traded 3 times! Matt's Granny Barbara got it for me and while it was a very sweet idea it's just not my taste in outerwear. After sitting in my closet for a year I thought maybe it would be a perfect white elephant gift. Turns out there were some other people who actually liked the thing! At least I know it will get use now :) (Just for the record Todd did not end up getting it)
This hat was another gift to make the rounds. It started with Morag and ended up with Char! I think it's a nice look for Char!


This is Ken checking out the 365 sex positions. I will say there were some interesting ones! I love his "old man" reading stance (He was just joking, but I am glad to have caught the moment!)

Here are some of the newbies (accompanied by some others) singing the Arizona version of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" My favorite lyric is when they switch "we'll conspire" for "we'll perspire." I should get the lyrics and post them because it's a pretty funny song.

Since I didn't have a blog last year I obviously did not put up any pictures from last year's party so I figure now is as good of time as any to post them...

This is Becky (my department head) and Amos (the guys who brought his student's project as a gift). I think we have a little thing with hats! There seems to be a reoccurring theme.


Well, holiday party 2008 went off with a bang. 365 days until next years and fortunately for us we will have a new sex position to try each day to entertain us until the next one ;)

No comments: